Colorado Governor Hickenlooper will give opening remarks
Sacramento, CA – Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper, who has become a legislative leader when it comes to the unique hurdles that occur with legalization of recreational marijuana, will kick off Tuesday’s Senate Oversight Hearing on cannabis taxes and regulatory timelines. The hearing will be chaired by Senator Mike McGuire.
Governor Hickenlooper will discuss his experiences, the challenges and lessons learned when his state faced implementing recreational cannabis with Colorado’s original taxing system.
Other speakers include:
Current cannabis tax collection and Proposition 64: an overview:
- Seth Kerstein, Economist, Legislative Analyst’s Office
- Shawn Martin, Principal Fiscal & Policy Analyst, Legislative Analyst’s Office
On the ground perspectives: current and future challenges with compliance:
- Jerred Kiloh, Owner, The Higher Path Collective
- Wendy Sollazzi, Department of Finance Division Manager, City of San José
- Sergeant David Woolsey, Division of Medical Marijuana Control , San José Police Department
- Thomas D. Allman, Sheriff-Coroner, Mendocino County
- Kristin Nevedal, Founder and Chair, International Cannabis Farmers’ Association
- Sarah Grew, Director, Sierra County Growers Association
Cannabis tax administration: current sales tax collection and gearing up for Proposition 64:
- Michele Pielsticker, Legislative and Research Division Chief, Board of Equalization
- Jim Houston, Undersecretary, California Department of Food and Agriculture
- Amy Tong, Director, California Department of Technology
“We’re grateful that Governor Hickenlooper will be sharing the unique experiences Colorado has witnessed since passing recreational cannabis. We look forward to hearing his perspective and we hope to learn from the Governor about what works and what California can improve upon in the months to come,” Senator Mike McGuire said.
The Senate Oversight Hearing: “California Cannabis in a Turbulent Time” will be held on Tuesday, February 14 at 1:30 pm in Room 2040 of the State Capitol.
Senator Mike McGuire, who represents California’s North Coast, is Chair of the Senate Governance and Finance Committee. The hearing will be livestreamed and can be viewed at www.senate.ca.gov.