Sacramento, CA – Senator Mike McGuire, Chair of the Senate Committee on Governance and Finance, will lead an oversight hearing this morning to receive a status update on the implementation of the cannabis and tax technology systems recently purchased by the State, the upcoming launch of a new statewide taxing structure and there will be an update on the transition process taking place between the Board of Equalization and the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
In a historic reorganization recently passed by the Legislature, all cannabis tax collection and administration responsibilities will transition from the Board of Equalization to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
“From the beginning, no matter if it’s good news or a potential challenge, we have been adamant about the need for transparency related to the implementation process of Proposition 64. There is a massive effort taking place preparing the rules, regulations and tax structure in anticipation of January 1, 2018. Today’s hearing will help ensure the state is on track to take this $7 billion industry out of the dark and into the light of the regulated market.
The hearing will be held today, Wednesday, July 19 at 11 am at the California State Capitol, Room 113.
Speaking at the hearing are:
- Lori Ajax, Chief, Bureau of Cannabis Control, Department of Consumer Affairs
- Amy Tong, Director, California Department of Technology
- Amber Morris, Branch Chief, Cannabis Program, California Department of Food and Agriculture
- Suzanne Buehler, Director, Business Taxes and Fees Division, California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
- Richard Parrot, Deputy Director, Business Taxes and Fees Division, California Department of Tax and Fee Administration